brandieisabookjunkie

The Night Sister: A Novel
Jennifer McMahon

The One & Only

The One & Only - Emily Giffin 4.5 Stars

Right off the bat I will say that if you're not a fan of football - not even a little bit - you probably won't like this book. I have seen a lot of poor reviews where that is the first thing people mentioned. I don't like to see the negative reviews because of that fact, but I know not all women love football as much as I do.

That was the main reason I was so excited to read this book. Right off the bat, it had a little bit of a Friday Night Lights kind of feel (love that show), and I was loving the setting.

Shea is a die hard football fan. She lives and breathes the sport, living in a small college town where the football coach is famous, and just happens to be the father of her best friend. After college, she even takes a job in the athletic department of her college, which allows her to stay close to the people she loves and continue supporting her favorite team.

Her relationship with Coach Carr and his family is unique, as him and his wife practically raised Shea when her family was falling apart. Her mom was best friends with Coach's wife and naturally his daughter Lucy and Shea grew up as close as sisters.

Then tragically, Coach loses his wife to cancer and everything changes. On the heals of Mrs. Carr's death, Shea starts questioning her life and if she's exactly where she wants to be. Does she see a future with the guy she's dating? Is she happy with her job? Her new revelations make her also start questioning her feelings about Coach. She has hero worshiped him her whole life. His love for the sport, his love for his family and for her - he is the best man she's ever known. At some point she starts to realize that she may have stronger feelings for him, and is faced with having to deal with this new truth, and how it could crush everyone she loves dearly.

I will admit that the age difference did start out as an issue for me. Just the thought that she could have feelings for a man her father's age was a little unsettling. I normally avoid books like this, but I tried to stay open minded and push through it. I am so glad I did. The intense feelings these two had, but were so good at keeping to themselves, had my heart racing. When they finally had an intimate moment - I was dying. It was amazing and perfect. I didn't see their age difference anymore. I only saw how sweet he was to her and how much they cared for each other. By the end of the book I was rooting for them and my heart was breaking because of their situation. I wanted nothing more than for these two to get their happiness.

This was a slow starting book for me. I didn't really feel like it took off and had that suspenseful, can't-put-down feeling until the halfway point. But once I got there - I finished it in one sitting. The football references were a great added bonus, but it was the story of love and friendships that made this book truly wonderful.

If you are a lifelong Emily Giffin fan, and love football - I think you will absolutely enjoy this book!