brandieisabookjunkie

J.A. Redmerski
The Night Sister: A Novel
Jennifer McMahon

Happenstance: A Novella

Happenstance: A Novella - Jamie McGuire I have so much love for this book. I have been in a book slump and I devoured this one in the time that it took my daughter to nap yesterday. Granted, it's a novella and there's no reason I shouldn't have finished it that quickly, but I was completely engrossed and didn't want to put it down.

I loved Erin Easter, immediately. For a girl to have such a shitty life and mother - she didn't let it get to her. She was determined to still work hard, go to college, and get the hell outta town. No amount of bullying from the asshole kids in her class would get her down. She is a very strong individual and I adored her.

Weston is the sweet rich kid who has it all, but he's not in the least bit superficial. He's artistic and romantic and has had his eye on Easter for a long time. He's been forced to fit the 'mold' everyone expects his whole life, when he has finally had enough, and befriends Erin. She's hesitant at first, of course, because why would a gorgeous, popular guy want anything to do with her? She's always adored him from afar, but the thought that he'd ever give her the time of day was unheard of. But he proved himself, and their relationship was so sweet to watch unfold.

Although a very short book - it didn't feel rushed in any way. The slow build of their friendship was perfect, and there was a pretty shocking twist that I never saw coming.

I picked up this book thinking it would be a quick, light read, and I was pleasantly surprised at the emotional impact it had on me. It packed quite a punch in those 100 pages and I loved every minute.

Jamie McGuire - please write more YA! I need a full-length YA novel from you.